Thursday, July 2, 2015



July 2, 2105                                         Lesson 4.1 Fluency Blog-Day 7

I found this quote posted on someone’s Facebook page. I think this definition is pretty close to what most of us would actually consider success.

“Success means doing the best we can with what we have. Success is the doing, not the getting; in the trying, not the triumph. Success is a personal standard, reaching for the highest that is in us, becoming all that we can be.”
–Zig Ziglar

My question for our Know Your Audience assignment was: “What is the meaning of success”.

As several of my classmates answered, “Success can mean one thing to one person, and a completely different thing to another.”

To answer my own question:
I have agree that success is a personal standard, setting a goal and accomplishing it, whether that be work, school, relationship, etc. or just being the  best person  we want to be. Though it would be nice to have enough money to have a nice, paid for house, a nice vehicle or two, maybe even a boat, and be able to go on nice vacations, the quote is absolutely right, in my opinion. Success is the doing, not the getting.  It is in the trying, not the triumph.

I can attest to that as I have matured. I used to think it was all about the money, and the choices I made were a reflection of that. I wanted what I wanted, and I did what I did to get it.  How quickly one can find out one does not succeed making those choices.  But it’s not about the money. It is what we have and what we make of it, as I have come to realize. I have been blessed with a second chance. I have a wonderful lady in my life, who I plan on asking her formally to marry me this 4th of July weekend, I have a beautiful five year old daughter who is my whole world, and I want her to know that her daddy is a success because of the lessons which have been learned.  I have a good job which will allow me to put a roof over our head, food on the table and clothes on our backs. I have a family that has stood by me when they could have easily turned their backs on me in disgrace. And, I'm getting the education which I threw away in high school, which hopefully will provide a better chance of job security and an opportunity to rise above... maybe even one day afford to have a business of my own. I can now say I feel good about myself. I'm making something of myself. And, I'm making the right choices now.  I call that success!!  Anything above and beyond, is just an added bonus. How much more blessed could one be.

Happy 4th everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment