Sunday, July 19, 2015

July 19, 2015 Fluency Blog- Day 13


Once of my “This I Believe” statements on my list was “I Believe In Second Chances”. I may have
talked about this in some of my other posts, but it is something close to my heart. I don't know where I would be now if not for second, and sometimes third, chances.
I believe that as long as you learn from your mistakes, they should not be held against you. I have most definitely learned from most of my mistake I made during my teen years. Some of those were very hard lessons, and while I regret having to learn the lessons the way I have had to, I'm still the better for it. Sometimes it takes a much stronger lesson to get it though to us what is really important.
I am so blessed with a wonderful fiance and beautiful daughter, a loving family who continue to support in my challenges, efforts and successes.
The one thing which disappoints me in myself most of all though, is that not everyone is as forgiving. Some of my mistakes will follow me throughout the rest of my life. Luckily, others are willing to understand that we do things in youth which does not define who that person really is, and they are willing to give a chance to prove that you are worthy of taking a chance on you. One such case is the job that I have acquired. I worked through a temp agency for a couple of months and proved that I was honest, hard working and dependable. My boss saw that in me and made recommendation I be hired full time. He said that he'd made mistake when he was younger and that he didn't think they should be held against a person. I have worked there less than a year and already had a promotion. That wouldn't have happened if he hadn't given me that chance.
I dropped out of school early in high school because of choices I had made. But if it had not been for my counselor seeing something in me, encouraging me to begin studying and get my GED, I would not be in college now, working toward a degree in Welding.
While I believe that some things cannot be condoned, and will not be forgotten, I believe that most people deserve a second chance to prove themselves worthy of that chance. I know I've been truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment