Sunday, June 14, 2015

Jung Typology Reflection June 13, 2015 Lucas Newby




Jung Typology Reflection     June 13, 2015     Lucas Newby


The assessment showed me to be ISTJ (Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging).  I don’t know how much store I put into this, but I have to admit there are parts that describe me to a tee, however, there are several other parts that in my opinion don’t fit me at all.
In the description by Joe Butt, it states that this personality type is often call inspectors. They have a “keen sense of right and wrong, especially in the area of interest and/or responsibility. …Noted for devotion to duty. Punctuality is a watchword.” This I can agree with.

“ISTJs often give the initial impression of being aloof and perhaps somewhat cold. Effusive expression of emotional warmth is not something that ISTJs do without considerable energy loss.” This could be true to an extent. I do come off that way at times, but it’s not meant to because I do care especially when it comes to my family and closest friends. I am very devoted and loyal in that aspect and I would fight a buzz saw for any one of them.

I don’t like drawn out conversations with a lot of filler. I’m more of a “just the facts” type. I agree with the description that I perform at my highest efficiency when given a “step-by-step approach”. Once it’s proven itself the no problem. I will go above and beyond to get it done right.

I will also admit that I get easily frustrated by inconsistencies of others, especially when someone doesn’t keep their commitments. However I differ in the fact that I don’t have a problem saying something about it instead of keeping it to myself. In the terms of the author “When asked, they don’t mince words. Truth wins out over tact.”

I don’t necessarily like change. “We’ve always done it this way” is often good enough for me. Like he said “an apple ‘should’ have certain qualities, against which all apples are evaluated. A ‘proper chair’ has four legs.” So I guess in some ways I can be a bit judgmental in some of my ways of thinking. Sometimes this can be a good thing, but other times it’s not necessarily good.

They hit the nail on the head when they talked about extraverted thinking. I will talk when I’m ready to talk and not until then. When the author talked about introverted feeling is pretty much correct too. I hold in my deepest feeling most of the time, or I express it nonverbally.

Under the topic of extraverted intuition, I have been told that I come across as being negative and untrusting. Though I’ve learned not to trust easily, I don’t see myself as being either of those ways. I think I’m being realistic. And sometimes I just have to learn it my own way, whether that be good or bad.

How this can affect me as a student and a writer can also be good or bad. I have difficulty putting things into the right words and an even harder time putting it on paper. If I’m going to do something I want to do it right, but I also want to do it right then. Sometimes I’m a bit to impatient and hardheaded to ask for help in order to achieve my goal. Then I get frustrated. This is a challenge for me, but maybe with this tid-bit of insight on things that reinforce what I’ve been told at times, things that I didn’t want to see in myself, then, hopefully I can make some needed changes. I’m not going to base my whole life on this test, but it is probably worth consideration. And I think that it can help me as a student as a writer if I’ll just apply it.
Lucas

1 comment:

  1. Lucas,
    I was very skeptical at first about the Jung test. When my wife and I talked about it, I started to realize the results described me well. I learned about myself and really reflected on my characteristics.It is amazing how many different traits people have. Anyway, great job on your blog.
    Denton Mabe

    ReplyDelete